All adult actors should have completed some form of professional training or have undertaken work on stage or in front of the camera. Professional headshots are a must. Actors should also be Spotlight and Equity members.
1. Find a quiet, uncluttered room that has very little or no
background noise. Try to position yourself a few feet away from
the wall to avoid shadows. Try not to film in front of a window.
Film yourself saying the lines. A shot from mid chest to just above
your head is best. Any more and we can’t see your face.
2. State your name and age and who represents you before
starting your audition.
3. Film against a plain background, white or blue is best.
Remember it should have a good amount of natural light or be well
lit and make sure that the light is behind you so that we can see
your face clearly.
4. Your camera should ideally sit on a tripod to maintain a steady
image. If you don’t have a tripod make sure that you can put the
camera on a steady surface or have someone hold it steadily.
5. DSLR or video cameras are good, smart phone cameras are
generally good quality these days so most casting directors are
happy for you to self-tape yourself using your phone.
6. Watch the tape back and check the audio, it’s important we can
7. In a two-person scene it is best to not film alone but get
someone else to read in the other lines. This person should not be
on screen. We want the focus to be on you. Please make sure
that the reader’s voice is not too loud, this can happen if they are
very close to the camera/phone and can also be a distraction for
the casting director.
8. Please label the file with your name and character.
9. There are many different ways to submit your self-tape, we are
usually guided by the casting director who will let us know which
format is best for them.
10. Please look at the file and check the size. A file over 100MB will
take a long time to send and usually means that you shot it at a
very high quality. If your file is over 100MB you may consider using
Clip Champ to compress it - https://clipchamp.com/. You won’t lose
much of the quality but the file will be much smaller and easier to